Join us on an enchanting cross country trip which combines mountain and coastal riding in the picturesque lands of Halkidiki peninsula, Greece. This is a land of myths and ancient history – birthplace of Aristotle and home of the Athos Holly Mountain monastic community. It is also a place of great natural beauty, with its Mediterranean vegetation, olive gardens, crop fields and big herds of goats. Add to these the numerous sunny and sandy beaches; the picturesque gulfs andthe islands; the traditional Macedonian architecture of the old villages; the hospitality of local people and their delicious cuisine, and you will get a great and exciting experience. On this trip we use dirt and gravel roads along the coast and up to the mountains and meadows, all showing us the great variety of the Mediterranean world and Halkidi peninsula.
- Day 1
- Arrival at Thessaloniki airport. Transfer to Polygyros, the capital of Halkidiki. Accommodation in a family hotel. Free time for walks in the narrow streets of the old town. Option for visiting the local historic museum - the best in Halkidiki. Dinner and trip briefing.
- Day 2
- After breakfast we can visit small traditional handmade soap workshop and then get on the bikes for a warm up ride, climbing above Polygyros town followed by a descent to Ormilia village. Here we stop for lunch in a local restaurant. After lunch we start with a climb among olive gardens and goat pens, in order to reach the top of a small mountain. We descend on a rolling terrain among coniferous trees and farmlands to the beautiful old town of Nikiti, famous for its honey production. We stay overnight in a family hotel near the small port of Paralia Nikiti.
- Day 3
- Today we start exploring the middle leg of Halkidiki peninsula -Sithonia, famous for its great beaches and dense forests of Mediterranean pine. We start from the hotel and climb to the main ridge passing by interesting rock formations, small meadows and panoramic views at all sides. We stop for a picnic lunch near a small chapel and ride down to the coast, stopping by the remote old pirate village Parthenonas. We spend the night in the lively and rolling Neos Marmaras town. Dinner in local fish tavern.
- Day 4
- A laid back day for relaxing on the bike. We ride on coastal roads very near the sea, providing us with great views to the Turtle Island and many small bays with great beaches. We stop for lunch in Toroni village- famous for the remains of a Byzantine fortress, and then continue to the spectacular Porto Koufo bay. We finish in a fisherman village where we spend the night. In the afternoon we can do a short 10 km loop ride with great panoramic views to the rocky bay of Porto Koufo.
- Day 5
- Short transfer will take us up at 250 m above sea level where we start the ride. We bike on Sithonia ridge, this time from south to north, enjoying great views to the mountains and the sea- at both sides, and the imposing silhouette of Mt. Athos in the distance. We descend on a panoramic dirt road to Sarti town, famous for its big sandy beach and great views to Athos mountains. We transfer to the beautiful Ouranoupoli town on the Athos peninsula, where we spend the night.
- Day 6
- Today we do a 20 km ride starting from the border of Athos holly land, passing on the ridge with nice views to the nearby island of Amoliani. Later, we can catch the ferry, have lunch at the island, do a short ride and then return back to the mainland. Those who want to skip biking can do the Mount Athos cruise and enjoy the sea views and see part of the holly monasteries. In the early afternoon we travel to Thessaloniki, stopping for a coffee at the beautiful old town of Arnea. We spend some free time for sightseeing in Thessaloniki and enjoy a farewell dinner in a local tavern.
- Day 7
- Transfer to the airport for depar ture.
- Dates any in the tour's best period
- Included accommodation in family hotels and guesthouses with private facilities on FB , all ground transportation, luggage and bike transportation, English speaking guide
- Single room supplement 120 EURO
- Group size min. 4 persons (ask for quote for smaller groups)
- Best period April - June, September - November
- Skill/fitness level intermediate / 2-4