This trip is specially designed for the less experienced bikers and beginners in relatively good physical condition. We ride mainly on dirt roads among vast meadows and forests, with few steeper and more technical sections- good for improving your riding skills. We put emphasis not only on the biking alone but also on that unique feeling of exploring and learning about a new land, its people and culture while cycling at your own relaxed pace. We will go deep in the mountains and get familiar with the way people and nature have been living together for centuries; learn about the culture and life of a specific Bulgarian ethnic group- the Pomaks; see how Christians and Muslims live together in peace, preserving their culture, traditions, spirit and connection with the mountains. You will be charmed by the unique hospitality of the locals and taste delicious Rodopi homemade specialties famous all around the country.
- Day 1
- Arrival at Sofia airport and transfer for accommodation in the city center. Welcome dinner and Info meeting.
- Day 2
- Early transfer brings us to the beautiful Trigrad village deep in the Rodopimountains. We bike on a gravel road near the edge of Trigrad gorge rocks, followed by the vast meadows of Yagodina village. Once down at the bottom of the valley, we have a tasty lunch and then visit the magnificent Yagodina cave. The Last ride of the day is an easy gradual descent on a narrow asphalt road winding through the longest gorge in Bulgaria - the stunning Buinovo gorge. Short transfer brings us back to Trigrad where we spend the night in a family guesthouse and enjoy local specialties for dinner.
- Day 3
- After breakfast we start with a visit of the thrilling Devil’s throat cave. We go down through Trigrad gorge and then hit a long gravel road to the picturesque Chairski lakes area. After a delicious lunch at the local hut we continue climbing up to the vast meadows near the abandoned Chala neighbourhood and then descend to the remote Mugla village, where time seems to have stopped. For dinner we have local homemade Rodopi specialties.
- Day 4
- After a special breakfast with local forest fruit jams we continue with a climb up to Prevala pass set in beautifully stretched vast pastures with grazing sheep. From the top we descend 1000m all the way down to the architectural reserve of Shiroka Laka where we enjoy a special folklore night.
- Day 5
- Early transfer takes us to Pamporovo ski resort where the biking starts. Today we ride on a rolling dirt road through typical Rodopi landscapes - old coniferous forests, combined with green meadows full with flowers and grazing sheep; followed by a ride on a section of an ancient roman road.We have lunch at a local hut and finish at the marvellous natural rock arches - the Wonderful bridges. Overnight,we stay in a mountain hut in the forest at 1600m.
- Day 6
- Today we have a late breakfast and start with a short ascent to the Sunny meadows area. From there a 12 km downhill ride awaits us. On the way, we can stop at Bone’s stone waterfalls. We end up in the beautiful Orehovo village where our host will sing and play Rodopi songs for us. There is an option for a short afternoon ride in the area. Specialties for dinner are served.
- Day 7
- Today we visit Bachkovo monastery and Assenova fortress. We travel to Plovdiv town where we spend the night. The afternoon is free for sightseeing and relaxation in the charming old town. We enjoy a farewell dinner in a local traditional Bulgarian restaurant.
- Day 8
- Transfer to the airport for departure.
- Dates any day within the tour's best period
- Included 7 nights in family hotels and guesthouses with en suite facilities on FB, all ground transportation, English speaking guide
- Single room supplement 100 EUR
- Group size min. 4 persons (ask for quote for smaller groups)
- Best period May - October
- Skill/fitness level novice-intermediate / 2-3